What will the Model III mean for other electric car models? - Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What will the Model III mean for other electric car models?

Electric cars have been around for a while now. Many of the more affordable models (which can still be pricey) just haven't caught on that much, and others are heralded as great cars, but they have a prohibitively large price point. The Tesla Model III tries to change all that by creating a high-quality EV that isn't crazy expensive.

Will the Tesla Model III make its competitors look really bad? Will this spur other companies to step up their EV game?

Here are some of the EVs that the Tesla Model III will compete with.

Chevy Spark EV

Nissan Leaf

Ford Focus Electric

Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 AM

It will mean some really stiff competition for all of those. People view Tesla as a premium brand and when you can get a car from that brand for $35-40k, which is around just as much more a number of EV's from mainstream brands, it means a lot of lost interest to them.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM

EV is the next luxury play. We can talk about electrocuting, er electrifying the masses all we want but its simply not feasible to have an entire nation of EV owners, we're going to run into the same issues we currently have with petrol.

Lets face it people don't buy EV's because they want to save the planet, they buy them trying to cut monthly expenses...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
EV is the next luxury play. We can talk about electrocuting, er electrifying the masses all we want but its simply not feasible to have an entire nation of EV owners, we're going to run into the same issues we currently have with petrol.

Lets face it people don't buy EV's because they want to save the planet, they buy them trying to cut monthly expenses...
I think that it is partly to save money on gas each month, but I don't think it is that to the exclusion of saving the environment. EVs are more expensive to buy, so I'm not sure that saving money on gas makes sense for everyone because those savings are offset a bit. I do think that people are willing to pay more because they feel as though EVs are a socially responsible purchase.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM

That is part of it too, from how I see it, people that buy these are considering more than just saving gas but another part is that they may feel this is their way to do their part for the environment

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinko View Post
I think that it is partly to save money on gas each month, but I don't think it is that to the exclusion of saving the environment. EVs are more expensive to buy, so I'm not sure that saving money on gas makes sense for everyone because those savings are offset a bit. I do think that people are willing to pay more because they feel as though EVs are a socially responsible purchase.
And if things were as they were and not as they seemed would they continue to be esteemed with their ethical purchase? Lets not dice for a moment, there is a reason that Teslas in particular have enjoyed dominance in the EV market. They don't do electric car particularly better than every one else, so why the fire?

Well for one who buys Teslas (the S) the wealthy and the well off, why? Because its more then a BMW, more than a Mercedes, more than an Audi. I don't mean more as in more money, I mean more as in beyond, a luxury exclusive. Its the same reason luxury car makers were putting V8s in everything up until what 2 years ago

What makes strip mining vast acreage of arable land socially responsible, or is it the coal fired electricity?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page