Tesla considering Model III variants - Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tesla considering Model III variants

Tesla is planning to use the base Model III as a starting point for other variants: an estate and a crossover derivative. Tesla's vice president says that this will help the Model III appeal to more people. The additional variants will surely help Tesla in its efforts to add more volume to its sales.

Is anyone considering one of the derivatives instead of the base Model III sedan?

I'm also curious how the crossover will be done because that evolution seems less easy to do than creating an estate model. There is also the Model X which will be a SUV, though I am assuming that will be considerably more expensive.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/tesla-con...ing-model-iii/
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Ah not quite actually. What Chris Porritt, Tesla’s vice president for engineering was actually saying is that they're undecided...

Quote:
“We don’t know what type of customer we’re trying to appeal to yet, but we want to speak to more customers… Lots of them!” he said. “We’ve got specific customers for Model S, we have an idea with Model X, but we need to appeal to more people with Model III.
cute ute...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:29 PM

If they want to speak to more customers, having more downmarket vehicles might be the way to go, some really high volume vehicles within their segments.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
If they want to speak to more customers, having more downmarket vehicles might be the way to go, some really high volume vehicles within their segments.
That is the way to go from what it seems on the 'surface' but EV tech seems pricey so i'm not sure how much downmarket they can go while still making vehicles that get great range and all. BUT of course range isn't only about the powertrain.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM

Well I don't think Tesla needs to go massively downmarket to find success. $35-50K seems to be a sweetspot currently, which I tihnk Tesla can produce a more than adequate vehicle for retail at that price point.

The most important factor though is gelling the product content with consumer desires. Crossovers are hot, I agree perhaps that may be a better route to success...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM

yeah they don't need to go super down market, $35k is a great starting point, enough for a good portion of folks out there to buy in and get to experience an EV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page