Tesla-hacking competition shows how safe the Model S is - Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tesla-hacking competition shows how safe the Model S is

A competition in China had teams of hackers competing for a $10,000 prize. All they had to do was hack into the Tesla Model S.

Well, the competition is over and the results are comforting for Tesla owners, but not that exciting. One team was able to hack into the Tesla Model S, but all that they could control was the car's lights, horn and sunroof.

Since the competition, Tesla has asked the semi-successful team to share with them the method they used to hack the Tesla Model S to increase this one little security flaw.

It is worth noting that the competition was not sanctioned or organized by Tesla.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM

This is good news. I wouldn't want people to be able to hack even the lights, sunroof, and horn, but that is pretty minimal as far as risk goes.

Is anyone scared of hacking as cars become more and more like computers?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 AM

This is a great challenge to do, one I doubt GM would ever allow to happen.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM

I have serious doubts about the veracity of this "contest"

The Tesla Command app for Android allows control of the exact same fucntions from your android phone or smart watch, yet these are the exact same functions the hackers accessed. I'm inclined to think we're not being told the whole story.

The hackers went for low hanging fruit it seems.

There was a guy on Tesla forums a few months back who got so deep into the system that Tesla phoned him up and said "oy stop fiddling about in there". If Bitcoin's (ok My.Goxs) complex encryptions can be cracked what makes a Tesla so special?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I'm sure they sought higher goals but this was as far as they could get. Likely because you can hack the app which gives you access to the car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM

Oh and the OP is misleading, these were students not crack team of espionage hackers/anonymous type levels of malice. Yes the app is easier to hack into, which doesn't change my innitial statement that they went for low hanging fruit.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...hernet-network

This is the guy I was talking about.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 PM

i heard any system no matter how secure it's said to be, can be hacked. it might come down to just a matter of time before someone does hack into it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 AM

Tesla sent its head of vehicle security, Kristin Paget, to the perrminent security conference in the US, Def Con. She was there to recruit some hackers to help Tesla make its vehicles secure, digitally speaking.

Quote:
Paget joined Tesla earlier this year to help beef up the security side of its cars, and part of that is expanding the amount of security experts at the automaker. At Def Con, Tesla is out to pick up between 20 to 30 hackers that can ply their wares on the Model S, the forthcoming Model X, and the Model 3.
Tesla also has a program that rewards people who inform them of vulnerabilities. So far 20 have been reported, and those 20 people have had their name put onto a Hall of Fame list and also got a "challenge coin" that can be turned in for a factory tour.

Sounds like cyber security is a growing concern for automakers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page