Michigan bans Tesla direct sales - Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michigan bans Tesla direct sales

Sadly, Michigan has just banned direct sales of Tesla vehicles. There is opposition to the bill from Tesla and its suppliers, but Governor Rick Snyder signed the bill anyway.

Quote:
A spokesman for Snyder remarked that the governor has to decide by Tuesday whether to sign the measure. Karen Manardo, global marketing and communications director for Inteva Products, remarked that the company’s letter to the governor expresses its opposition to any legislation that prevents Tesla from direct sales.
Many automakers are based in Michigan (obviously) which has probably lobbied for the bill. There are also many Tesla suppliers in Michigan though. 56 Tesla suppliers are based in Michigan and those suppliers should generate $170 million in parts and services for Tesla this year.

The bill was passed by the house and senate on October 2nd and has support from the Michigan Automobile Dealers Association and the national Automobile dealers Association.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/michigan-...y-for-signing/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IA2MR20141021
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 PM

That's brutal. With this happening in MI, should we expect it to start making it's way around to other states where tesla's are sellling?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Eventually either the state or Tesla will bend. I think the problem is that Tesla is a new car company and there just really hasn't been one of those to deal with entering the market in a very very long time. It just seems like an anti-competitive law to me. What happened to a free market economy?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 PM

I guess it's what happens when the big guys try to run you out of town when they see potential in you. I would have said 'threat' but i doubt the big brands feel threatened by tesla.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinko View Post
Eventually either the state or Tesla will bend. I think the problem is that Tesla is a new car company and there just really hasn't been one of those to deal with entering the market in a very very long time. It just seems like an anti-competitive law to me. What happened to a free market economy?
free market economy... too bad that didn't happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page