Model S production stop to prepare for Model X - Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Model S production stop to prepare for Model X

Tesla has halted the production of the Model S at its Fremont production facility to make way for the Model X. Production will be stopped for two weeks. During that time 25 robots will be added to the facility, and the body and general assembly line will also be modified as part of a $100M upgrade.

The Model X will begin production in early 2015. The upgrades will also increase Model S production to 1,000 units per week before the end of this year.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM

not sure what model s sales are like but stopping production on a model that has been out for some time can't be all that good.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM

They are only stopping for two weeks, and after that the factory will be able to make Model S's faster so they should be able to catch up. I don't really think that it is a bad sign.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Is TESLA really set up for volume production though? Model X and Model 3 are clearly ambitious pushes into the main vain of transportation. Does Tesla have the infrastructure to handle that demand? As far as I know its only the lone ex-NUMMI facility that TESLA operates out of. Surely they will need to diversify their production channels which should of already been underway for a mainstream push in 1-2 years IMO...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Is TESLA really set up for volume production though? Model X and Model 3 are clearly ambitious pushes into the main vain of transportation. Does Tesla have the infrastructure to handle that demand? As far as I know its only the lone ex-NUMMI facility that TESLA operates out of. Surely they will need to diversify their production channels which should of already been underway for a mainstream push in 1-2 years IMO...
that's a good question because i sure hope that if they don't, which they're showing signs of, that they are working to ramp up production.

I know they're using a massive facility that has room for them to expand into, so maybe they working on developing those areas

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM

I wonder where a second facility would be considered? a second US facility? European, perhaps China?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Tesla Model III Forum, Tesla Model 3 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page